If you are a parent in Georgia seeking to change an existing child custody order, you likely have countless concerns and uncertainties regarding the complicated legal process ahead and your parental rights. Modifying custody is an emotionally charged road that can leave you feeling perplexed and alone. However, you do not have to navigate this without support and guidance. As a caring and knowledgeable Roswell family lawyer firm, FBA Law Firm is fully committed to providing you the clarity, wisdom, and encouragement you deserve during this challenging season.
We recognize that asking the court to alter established joint custody arrangements for your child is an intimidating proposition fraught with anxiety. That is precisely why our legal team chooses to combine strong, strategic legal counsel with genuine compassion. You deserve to understand Georgia custody laws fully while also receiving the caring backing of advocates who see you not merely as a client but as a fellow parent doing their best.
Determining If There Has Been a Material Change in Circumstances
To modify sole custody or joint custody in our state, you generally must show that there has been a “material change in circumstances” affecting the welfare of the child since the current custody order was established. This is important – you typically cannot ask the court to change custody just because you want a different arrangement. There must be evidence that circumstances have significantly changed in a way that makes the current order contrary to the child’s best interests.
Common examples of material changes include:
• One parent is planning to relocate far away
• The child’s needs have changed such that the current schedule is not in their best interest
• A parent’s work schedule has drastically changed
• Issues with child abuse, neglect, or endangerment
Documenting how the changes specifically impact your child is crucial. This often requires collecting relevant records, statements from witnesses, and evidence over a reasonable period showing the shift in circumstances.
Proposing a Revised Custody Arrangement Focused on the Child’s Best Interests
It is essential to propose a new custody schedule focused on the child’s best interests rather than what you may simply prefer as a parent. Our Georgia custody modification attorneys can strategize with you to suggest a reasonable revised arrangement the court would favor.
Factors looked at in determining the child’s best interests include:
• Each parent’s ability to provide food, clothing, medical care, etc.
• The home environments, including safety and stability
• The child’s adjustment to home, school, and community
• The mental and physical health of all individuals involved
• Each parent’s willingness to foster a positive relationship between the child and other parent
Thoughtfully addressing these factors in your proposed revised custody order is key.
Working With Knowledgeable Georgia Custody Lawyers
The process can feel overwhelming, but you don’t have to go it alone. The compassionate and strategic lawyers at FBA Law Firm can assist you with your custody needs. We understand this road is not easy for any family. With customized counsel and representation focused on your unique situation, we can walk with you each step of the way toward the custody modification outcome most beneficial for your child.
Document Collection and Review
One of the first steps in changing custody is a thorough document collection and review process. Your lawyer will request relevant records pertaining to:
• Your current custody order
• Any evidence related to the material change in circumstances
• School and medical records
• Statements from individuals with direct knowledge of the situation
Compiling and evaluating these documents allows us to build the strongest case possible as we petition the court for sole legal custody or joint custody modification on your behalf.
Superior Legal Representation and Step-by-Step Guidance
At FBA Law Firm, our expert Georgia custody attorneys provide reliable legal representation combined with compassionate support tailored to your family’s needs. We will:
• Outline the custody modification process from start to finish so you know what to expect
• Provide skilled and strategic legal counsel to advocate for your parental rights
• Handle communicating with co-parents, mediators, and the courts on your behalf
• Update you promptly at each phase to collaboratively move the case forward
The ins and outs of GA child support and modifying custody do not have to perplex and overwhelm you. Call our office today to schedule an initial consultation and get the clarity you need from legal experts devoted to protecting children and defending families. The fight for your child is worth it – and we’re here to stand with you each step of the journey.